Thursday, May 9, 2013

Back for more?!

Ladies and gentlemen, I am back again!

My computer was the most of critical conditions (goodbye, hard drive!) until the most wonderful of all IT guys worked some freaky geeky micro magic (it was insane) and we are up and running!!

Don't get your hopes up too TOO high though (yes you can, just not because of what you think) because there are some serious changes coming this way... but not until after I share with you the articles/ideas/videos/borrowed blog articles that I have been storing up during my time away from the screen.


I have learned surprisingly, a lot about myself during my lack-of-computer-possessing time. It had not occurred to me until day 3 or 4 that I was bored out of my mind without Facebook, Twitter, blogs, Gmail, Youtube, Pandora, Etsy, and let's not forget Pintrest. I did not update my iPod, watch TV shows while I did the dishes, look up people I used to judge in high school, watch TV shows to kill time... I even had to make up my own outfits when I got dressed in the morning without consulting my dream closet full of ideas. Instead, I was forced to call people I hadn't spend time with or talk to in ages, actually pick up books and read them (they were made out of paper and everything!), go outside to see if something was at the store, and try things on my own instead of looking at what everyone else is up to (I'm coming for you, lefty guitar).

And it actually wasn't that terrible.

I spent more time with my family and people I love, I found places in some towns dear to my heart that I hadn't yet explored, I spent more time in prayer, and with the coming summer months I even managed to motivate myself to get off my ass once in a while and get my blood pumping (workouts totally suck, but they're worth it).

I came back to everything and I just caught myself mindlessly skimming. No, it wasn't even skimming, it was just scrolling. It was blindly scrolling. I wasn't even looking at the news feed or the twitter feed or the pins anymore, but I was spacing out and my mind kept wandering off to this land where my eyes didn't hurt (you know... from the screen).

Lesson to be learned? Unplugging is good! I wouldn't by any means in our day and age advise most people to get rid of their facebook or twitter or email or youtube or whatever, especially because it is becoming a central part of our culture to communicate and share information and bond long distance, and that is totally fine! I just don't want anyone to end up like this poor girl:


Unplug! There's more than the internet, more than texting, more than Skype and FaceTime (although it would be much harder with out you), etc. etc. You are right here, right now! Do not lose sight of that! I don't mean #YOLO as a license to be stupid, but don't be the person browsing Facebook out of boredom... be the person having too much fun with the people you're with (or whatever you're doing) to stop and take pictures for Instagram, or at least be the person so at peace with a sunset or a delicious bite of a damn good burrito that you know a picture or post won't capture the awesomeness in that. I hope you come back and check my blog soon... but you'd better do something great between now and then!

Talk to you soon! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment